- Unique In-House Counsel Opportunity
- Dynamic Global Corporation | 50,000+ Employees
- Iconic brand | Established in the 1800's
This is one of those corporations that has a very clear and undeniable presence in its industry sector such that it is immediately recognisable by logo, and is deeply respected by name. It is a brand with very deep market penetration, founded by an innovated family that has been at the corporate helm for the first 50 years navigating an uncharted course through challenging financial trends. Now a public company, it has prospered from decades of growth underpinned by its innovative approach to product development.
It is an organisation that instills confidence in its employees and reinforces its cultural values at every level. Attractive rewards and effective retention strategies also provide consistent growth resulting in global employee numbers peaking well in excess of 50,000.
As Senior Legal Counsel you will have a dual reporting line to the Global Chief Legal Counsel and the Managing Director located here in Brisbane. In this role you can expect to:
- Deliver advice to the MD and respective business units on legal interpretation and legal compliance;
- Identify and research legal issues relevant to the organisation;
- Search for precedent-setting implications;
- Develop standard form documents which comply with regulatory requirements;
- Negotiate and prepare amendments to standard form documents;
- Provide guidance and oversight of all financial regulatory compliance matters;
- Manage and monitor effective compliance processes and implement process improvement initiatives;
- Assess organisational risks and mitigate risks through effective risk management programs;
- Assist with setting company policies and procedures;
- Liaise with and participate in Australian Finance Industry Association activities to keep abreast of industry considerations and changes;
- Influence and educate relevant Business Unit Managers on legal issues impacting their operational activities, and provide the transfer of information in an intelligible and respectful manner;
- Develop and facilitate initiatives to ensure business integrity and promote a global culture of ethical behaviour (including legal and regulatory requirements, business conduct guidelines, non-compliance reporting, privacy and record management).
- You will be admitted as a Solicitor in any Australian jurisdiction and have a current unrestricted practicing certificate;
- You will have a minimum of 4 years post admission experience, ideally within a mid or top tier firm, or an in-house environment in the regulated sectors of finance or insurance;
- You will be an Australian citizen or have the right to work in Australia;
- Sound knowledge of regulatory frameworks and relevant legislation;
- A proactive and flexible approach with the ability to work autonomously;
- Well-developed problem solving and decision making skills;
- Ability to influence in an informative and intelligible manner;
- Have an innovative approach; and
- You will have the ability to travel nationally once every two months, and internationally once or twice per year.
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
This is a career-defining opportunity to move into an In-House Counsel position and make your mark. You will be rewarded with a highly competitive total salary package circa $170K which includes base salary, up to 12.5% superannuation, as well as a healthy annual bonus based on business performance. In addition to this package is a fully maintained company car and fully-paid business-approved postgraduate studies.
At Law Staff we offer all Lawyers a lounge room setting for a relaxed confidential discussion over coffee/tea, allowing you to comfortably provide us an understanding of your skills. We are full in our disclosure and by the end of the meeting you will be provided with a detailed profile on this role for you to research at your leisure. To request a confidential meeting, please click APPLY and upload your Profile. Alternatively quote Ref: 2962703 and email your Resume to either:
- Craig Ashton-Sward - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trudy Reading - email@example.com
LawStaff | Level 22 HSBC Building | 300 Queen Street | www.lawstaff.com.au
Please note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.