- Resourceful National Law Firm with 25% Growth
- Prominent Government Panel | State and Commonwealth
- Circa $230K (SC), $350K+ Bonuses (SP), to $1.2M++ (EP)
With the average age of its Partners in their early 40's, it is a firm with a deep level of technical capability while also being a relatively young and highly collaborative partnership.
Our client has a strategic plan of expanding further with the appointment of an additional Partner in their Government Services Practice. The appointment will also accommodate a Special Counsel looking to step up to Salaried Partner level on commencement. The firm is on 10+ Primary Panels for Local Government and State Government, as well as 19 Commonwealth Government Panels and is looking to increase their service levels having an acute understanding of the financial, ethical, legislative and policy frameworks in servicing their clients' needs.
The firm is now seeking a talented lawyer ideally of 10 to 20 years experience to join their highly-regarded practice group. You will work closely with one particular Partner in this practice group, while collaborating with several Partners from other practice groups who service the Government space.
The preferred candidate will have a skillset in any area within the Government Services stream:
- Corporate and Commercial – advising government departments and agencies on tendering, procurement, commercial contracts, consumer and competition, information technology, telecommunications, media and communications; advising shareholding Ministers on their powers and responsibilities as well as on general corporate governance issues under the Government Owned Corporations Act.
- Property & Infrastructure - compulsory acquisitions; leasing; asset divestment;
- Major Projects - transport infrastructure and major projects across all sectors of government involvement;
- Climate Change and Sustainability – advising government departments on the issue of climate change and the risks of climate-related events; meeting zero emissions targets; corporate disclosure; environmental law.
WHAT YOU NEED
The expectations are genuinely for 10-20 years post-admission experience, in one or a couple of these service lines. A fair portion of that experience must have been recently obtained within Brisbane in a specialist firm, a mid-tier, or a large national practice where your skills have been developed advising government departments or agencies in that stream.
Indicative of your skillset in servicing these demographic clients, you will have existing relationships at various levels within local, state or commonwealth departments.
In addition, you will have well-developed team management skills and a high level of commercial acumen and a strong client focus.
WHAT YOU GET
This is a lateral appointment into Partnership. For entry level Partners they offer generous salaries, plus bonuses on modest KPI's. For Equity Partners their earnings are well in excess of industry benchmarks without the need to compromise on prestige or resources.
While other firms are cost-shedding to maintain their profit pool, this firm maintains an extensive local and national back-office infrastructure that underpins the very success of each partner. They have had zero redundancies during Covid-19, have maintained a seamless transition to working remotely, and have exceeded their budget during and after lockdown.
In challenging times, there has been the need for law firms to recalibrate in order to maintain a competitive advantage and a sustainable profit pool for its partners. Those that have managed this have emerged as magnets to other partners looking to transition their clients to a more innovative and profitable platform.
With 30 years as specialist consultants to the legal profession, Law Staff has an impressive history of facilitating discreet moves for partners (and whole teams) to specialist, mid or top tier practices, all while providing critical intelligence on:
- Individual profitability of the relevant firms;
- Partnership structures and equity distribution;
- Strategic growth plans;
- Intra/Cross practice compatibility;
- Historical transitions;
- Performance expectations; as well as
- Partnership culture and idiosyncrasies (trust us when we say that no one firm is perfect).
THE NEXT STEPS
At Law Staff we maintain the highest protocols during Covid and therefore offer a meeting over Zoom or FaceTime, as well as offer a contactless meeting in a lounge room setting for a relaxed confidential discussion over coffee/tea, allowing you to comfortably provide us with an understanding of your considerations in that next move.
For a uncompromisingly confidential discussion, please contact either:
- Craig Ashton-Sward (Director & Senior Client Advisor)
- 0413 743 838 (8:00 am to 8:00 pm 7 days)
- Trudy Reading (Client Advisor)
- 0401 504 203 (8:00 am to 8:00 pm 7 days)
LawStaff | Level 22 HSBC Building | 300 Queen Street | Brisbane